Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Looking Back 2000-2009

Worldspace and I

Today, with sadness, I climbed to the roof and removed my worldspace antenna from where it has braved sun and storm, scurrying squirrels and inquisitive crows. Below, in my bedroom, the little silver BPL box receiver no longer displays thepresent radio stations on its display panel: Spin, BBC, Up Country, The Hop, Riff, Orbit Rock.








Radio, as I had got used to knowing it, silently slipped out of my life on December 31, 2009, along with the Old Year and Auld Lang Syne.

I am not alone in mourning the disappearance of Worldspace, in Bodh Gaya, I know of at least one other person, who must be staring in disbelief at his now silent satellite radio receiver. He's the social worker from England to whom I introduced Worldspace Radio. He told me it was a lifesaver, because he could now get music and news straight from 'Ome!
What did Worldspace radio mean to me? Living in a the state of Bihar, here I am, a person whose native tongue is English, one who has grown up on Cliff Richard and Elvis, achieved adolescence with Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, The Queen, danced to Abba, Boney M, and Travolta, was at first revolted and then enchanted by MJ, once again left out in the cold. Worldspace brought to me, a member of a microscopic linguistic and subcultural minority, affirmation by means of music, radio programming and news. It brought me choices for entertainment and music that were not available on government and private airwaves, that are dedicated to mainstream Hindi music and the dominant culture.

During the darkest hours of Bihar, Worldsace radio in my bedroom brought in the sunshine through the various programmes I tuned in to. From Bangalore there were Hari, Ravi Kanolkar, Dhillon. There was Spin, my favourite channel that played my requests, included me in the phone in programmes, and even sent my 'cool stuff' and a Spin T-shirt. there was the BBC coming in loud and clear, and I could listen to the excellent radio plays and news commentaries while tucked up in bed.


Truly my 'worldspace interlude' from 2005 to 2009 was the happiest time of my life.


The closure of Worldspace India has resulted in a 'culture cut' in my life. I'm an optimist, I still cling to the hope that perhaps, maybe, the space shuttle is gonna return to earth someday.




3 comments:

vatsala said...

I remember you meeting one person deep in woods who knew your name as one of the
regular callers in these radio shows.
Three salutes to worldspace!

Sherry said...

Your passion for radio comes through beautifully. Let's hope Worldspace makes a comeback.

scorpio said...

For Vatsala:
That person a doctor from WHO, regularly tuned in to the Wstern Music programmes of All India Radio, Delhi.
Worldspace came later.