Friday, March 19, 2010

Frankly, India's a mess

Sean Paul Kelley is a travel writer, former radio host, and before that an asset manager for a Wall Street investment bank that is still (barely) alive. He recently left a fantastic job in Singapore working for Solar Winds, a software company based out of Austin to travel around the world for a year (or two). He founded The Agonist, in 2002, which is still considered the top international affairs, culture and news destination for progressives. He is also the Global Correspondent for The Young Turks, on satellite radio and Air America.

I'm posting excerpts from his 'Reflectons on India' here, because I wish I had written this piece: 

If you are Indian, or of Indian descent, I must preface this post with a clear warning: you are not going to like what I have to say. My criticisms may be very hard to stomach. But consider them as the hard words and loving advice of a good friend. Someone who's being honest with you and wants nothing from you. These criticisms apply to all of India except Kerala and the places I didn't visit, except that I have a feeling it applies to all of India, except as I mentioned before, Kerala. Lastly, before anyone accuses me of Western Cultural Imperialism, let me say this: if this is what India and Indians want, then hey, who am I to tell them differently. Take what you like and leave the rest. In the end it doesn't really matter, as I get the sense that Indians, at least many upper class Indians, don't seem to care and the lower classes just don't know any better, what with Indian culture being so intense and pervasive on the sub-continent. But here goes, nonetheless.
India is a mess. It's that simple, but it's also quite complicated. I'll start with what I think are India's four major problems-the four most preventing India from becoming a developing nation-and then move to some of the ancillary ones.




First, pollution.
In my opinion the filth, squalor and all around pollution indicates a marked lack of respect for India by Indians. I don't know how cultural the filth is, but it's really beyond anything I have ever encountered. At times the smells, trash, refuse and excrement are like a garbage dump. Right next door to the Taj Mahal was a pile of trash that smelled so bad, was so foul as to almost ruin the entire Taj experience. Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai to a lesser degree were so very polluted as to make me physically ill. Sinus infections, ear infection, bowels churning was an all to common experience in India. Dung, be it goat, cow or human fecal matter was common on the streets.


 In major tourist areas filth was everywhere, littering the sidewalks, the roadways, you name it. Toilets in the middle of the road, men urinating and defecating anywhere, in broad daylight. Whole villages are plastic bag wastelands. Roadsides are choked by it. Air quality that can hardly be called quality. Far too much coal and far to few unleaded vehicles on the road. The measure should be how dangerous the air is for one's health, not how good it is. People casually throw trash in the streets, on the roads.

The only two cities that could be considered sanitary in my journey were Trivandrum-the capital of Kerala-and Calicut. I don't know why this is. But I can assure you that at some point this pollution will cut into India's productivity, if it already hasn't. The pollution will hobble India's growth path, if that indeed is what the country wants. (Which I personally doubt, as India is far too conservative a country, in the small 'c' sense.)

More after the jump..

3 comments:

Susie Q said...

Oh maan! that's hitting the nail on the head! ouch!
Yes, actually Indians don't respect india enough.
All you Biharis vhaps talking about Bihari pride, do you respect your city enough NOT to throw garbage around?
Let's hear more from this fellow!!!

Khetan K said...

Really, this has bitter truth in it... we people shit and piss everywhere and turn our cities into huge latrines. Even educated and english speaking males unzip and let rip anywhere and everywhere.
Do we really repect ourselves, or are we just big hypocrites?

Anonymous said...

TAKUDZWA SAYS.....

My good people I think we are being a little bit too critical of ourselves..
1. India is HUGE and still developing (thats a plus point.) Being sensible do you think that it is easy to inculcate "civic sense" in ten years. I think that would be a bit too ambitious because civic sense is a culture and a culture has to be cultivated. I believe the government is trying its mighty best. Walk around Patna(Bihar...the "so called" backward state) and you will see dust bins and refuse collectors that were not known of just 3 months back. Isnt that a positive attempt?

2. Unfortunately the government isn't run by machines thus full enforcement of laws might end up catching them in the net too(if ever.) Point is, as I have highlighted earlier the culture of cleanliness has to be cultivated. For some reason Indian men seem more "immature" than women. They spit, they urinate, they sh*t every where(gosh it horrible). Men should start to change. This will help India a great deal.

3. Is there a service to talk about in this country. I got to be hard on this but be REAL. Every little shop every big bank is just the same. Professionalism is an allergy in this place (or maybe to the greater percentage.) And I shall not start on perfectionism which I think is deemed to be a "foreign culture" that Indians fear to take up. DO THINGS PERFECTLY AND IN REAL TIME AND SEE HOW FAST THINGS CAN CHANGE!