Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Who is a teacher?

This is a question that I would like to throw to my readers.
Who is a teacher? What are his or her qualities?

In several places in India - in the North East, Bihar, and even in Bengal, I have heard people say that people who do not get employment anywhere end up as teachers.
I have heard college students in Bihar say that in their colleges, teachers teach less and absent themselves more. they say that teachers are more interested in money than in teaching.
India is supposed to be very attached to its Gurus, or at least we claim that the Guru-or teacher- is one who needs to be respected.
Generally, what do you think of teachers?
What are the qualities of a good teacher?

2 comments:

yashna said...

For me, my teachers are motivators and anyone who rekindles the passion in me is a teacher. Teaching extends far beyond course books. When I introspect, I feel I have been very lucky to have teachers who have been mentors and people who are driven by a cause.

Shaily Suman said...

Ideally, a teacher is someone whom you learn from.
Unfortunately, the Patna University and affiliated colleges have many lowlifes who impersonate teachers. But again, even in this day, there are several upright Professors like Prof Shanker Dutt who shine through the gloom.
A teacher is one who can change your life.