Monday, February 22, 2010

Valentine's Day and beyond!

friend commented that I haven't been posting my poems . I do confess to having murdered verse or worsE once in a while. Here's a poem I wrote some years ago. It's sort of a 'Hallmark type pome' which could be on a Valentine's day card, eh?

Lyric





They declared that Rhyme was Dead,
Declined to state the reason.
But it was true, the Wise man said
That Rhyme was out of season

And matching words were such a bore
Rhythm an onerous task
Pentameter was no more
Than dregs in an empty cask …

“We poets strive to break the chains
Of sonnet, ode and dirge
Not one link should us restrain
Or balk creative urge …”

And so they wield their pens of steel
Shed blood of Royal Blue
Their course is set on even keel
The target swift and true.

They sing of pain and acid rain
Of war and toxic showers …
But love of you is my refrain
I hope you liked the flowers.


Frank Krishner 1994, Sikkim


1 comment:

Susie Q said...

I have always said you should come up with a book of poems. Even Michael Hulse commented on your poetry many years ago in the British Library. That British Poet thought yours was the only poem that stood out in the ebtire workshop!