Monday, November 21, 2005

late summer musings in winter

Yes, this is me... doing what I love doing... pretending to be a DJ... now they're called RJ's and I've been manipulating a record player since I was knee-high to a grasshopper... only now I teach college students how to make radio programmes....

When I was about 13 years old
my class-teacher used to call me frank sinatra
at the time I didn't take it much as a compliment
as I had begun to worship somebody called neil diamond
but by the time i reached my 26th year
I had begun listening seriously to what the man from the mafia had to sing

and one of his songs became my theme for living

and now the time has come
when i must face the final curtain ...
[hell... the rest of the verse just slipped out of my leaky mind]
hmm... of which I'm certain...
but the song says... I did it my way

and that's what i have probably done
throughout my existence

i remember one easter night
when I was about 16
going to church in a pair of old faded jeans
a blue sleeveless vest with a carnation
much to the consternation of my parents
who didn't appear to live down the 'shame'
for about a month!!!

maybe i was a rebel ... but with a whole bucketful of causes

and maybe that's who i still am
maybe slightly mellower
maybe more mature... [mature?? MATURE??? ... er.. I dunno]

so here I am
looking at the September morn .. or the September of my life
not very far away

and I suppose it's gonna be
a very eventful one.

1 comment:

allenbhai said...

dear briadur krishna
the sony I did it my way was originally composed by Paul Anka, then frankie sinarta mad eit a hit inthe 80's.
I have noit herd the neil diamund rendition of it.
allenbhai patnawalla.