Saturday, November 19, 2005

Birthday Eve


The eve of yet another birthday
I wonder... will the hypothetical candles on the cake
start a forest fire??

What thoughts cross my mind on this evening
sitting in a small room in rural Delhi

I've travelled far and wide
trekked around
till my boots bit off my feet

Memories....
flit through on the edge of my mind
like the theme from Cats

Some things are more immediate...
like the realisation that yet another of my friends
or ring of aquaintences
has tested positive for HIV...

I wonder...
Is it what we call the darkness under the lamp??
So many of these friends
Are actively involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS
promoting the use of condoms... safer sex...
and teh thought sometimes darts across my mind..
do we follow our own advice?
Do we actually practice what we preach???

I find it interesting that my birthday
comes before Thanksgiving...
Certainly not an Indian festival..
but my Eurasian upbringing makes the day special

I think theere's sense in giving thanks
for the opportunities, bricks and boquets
life throws at you

This night i fondly remember
all the lovers
the friends
and the so many wonderful people
living in tribal and backward areas
in this sub-continental country
who have made my life richer
and full of adventure...

No comments: