Saturday, March 12, 2011

Yesterday Once More - Radio Ceylon

Do you remember “The Ladies of Calcutta, They steal your heart away, and after it is broken, you’ll say … nonny nonny nay?”

When was the last time you listened to Lobo singing, “I love you to want me” dedicated to Angeline Gracious of Jamalpur?

When was the last time you hummed along to Gentleman Jim as he sand “Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone?.

When was the last time you listened to The Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation?

Well, I haven’t been in the mood to write a blog, partly because of the enormity of what’s happening in Japan, and mostly because I’ve discovered my childhood radio station, the one I grew up with, still playing “Yesterday Once more” loud and clear. And Justin Beiber can’t hold a candle to Donny Osmond, that’s what I discovered after I heard ‘Mother of Mine” played on the radio yesterday.

If you’re one of those who cut their milk teeth on ‘The Morning Show’ and miss ‘The Choice of the people’, I have a pleasant surprise  for you.

 Radio Ceylon - The Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation is alive and well and can be heard on the Internet. For the past two days, my computer has willingly taken up the role of my dad's short-wave radio. I've hitched it to my old Akai sound system, and it sounds almost as good as a 1950's valve radio.
Here’s the link to the English Services of the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation. Listen to SLBC Radio in real time on the internet.

It’s called Radio Sri Lanka.
So what’re you waiting for?  click on the link below, go to the SLBC home-page, click on ‘listen live to Radio Sri lanka’ and you’re in a TIME Machine to the summer of 69…. some great music from 6 in the morning to 11 in the night.
Interspersed with news, and yes, two hours of live BBC broadcasts as well!

SRI LANKA BROADCASTING CORPORATION

1 comment:

Susie Q said...

IT's unbelieveable... the guys there still have the same glitches... they still announce one number and play another... and OMG... I heard 'Daisy daisy give me your answer do' this Sunday Morning Show ... That's a world war 2 s song and our favourite school-picnic song after She'll be cummin round the mountain!!!!