Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Love at First Sight

And every weekend night
When I first saw Glee , it was love at first sight. The premiere did all the right things: it was funny, irreverent, quirky and, most importantly, featured an ass-kicking rendition of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’.” And I'm a believer!
A friend of mine says that Glee is like ' any bad boyfriend'. Glee infuriates and then woos him back again, never allowing him to make a clean break and end the relationship.
 GLEE is the new comedy show (staring Dianna Agron, Chris Colfer, Jessalyn Gilsig, Jane Lynch, Jayma Mays, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Matthew Morrison, Amber Riley, Mark Salling, Jenna Ushkowitz) shown on Star World in India. It tells the story of a high school Glee Club and the day to day trials of it members and tutors.

The show is shrill and simplistic one moment and heartfelt and complex the next. And it’s pretty tough to find any television show that features musical performances (something I love in any medium). And all the songs I love, old and new: some of the favourites that got me screaming with ecstasy: Proud Mary - done on wheelchairs!, You've got a Friend and many more.

The Cover of the 'Rolling Stone'

In the issue: Glee creator Ryan Murphy, who previously helmed Nip/Tuck, explains the show’s double-edged appeal: “It’s about there being great joy to being different, and great pain.” Twenty-three-year-old Lea Michele, the Broadway talent who plays Rachel, tells Hedegaard about her tattoos, and Cory Monteith, who portrays jock Finn, owns up to a few childhood arrests for offenses that “didn’t hurt people.” Dianna Argon (slippery cheerleader Quinn) describes what it was like joining the cast late and falling victim to Monteith’s fart pranks, and 19-year-old Chris Colfer, who bravely plays gay teen Kurt, opens up about his own painful youth and his never-changing voice. “You know that forget-and-forgive bullshit? No, no, no, no, not for me,” he says of channeling childhood traumas into creative energy. “You take that grudge and let that grudge fester, and then you use it.”


My favourite Character

Great Singing, and its all about diversity. The wonderfully flamboyant Kurt joins the football team as a kicker, in an effort to hide his homosexuality from his father. Before trying out, he announces to the coach that he will be “auditioning for the role of kicker.” I love Kurt
The heart-warming moment of one episode comes when Kurt admits to his father that he is gay. We expect him to be furious based on his alpha-male persona, but instead, he says he’s not totally in love with the idea, but he still loves Kurt just as much.  "Are you sure you're sure ?" "I've known I was gay ever since I was five." Aw. I love Kurt.
And an episode later, when his father gets a hate call 'Your son's a fag', you can see he almost can't handle it, but he tells his son "No coward's going to push us around" and later, when Kurt 'throws' the Diva face-off, just because he doesn't want his father to get hurt ...there's a lump in your throat when he says to his Dad  'I've been facing  this all my life, I can handle it, but you can't". And his Dad says "You're like your mother, she was always the strong one ..."

If You're not watching Glee, you're missing out on something good.

6 comments:

Professori said...

Thanks.

Susie Q said...

Trust FK to point us to things that are absolutely precious.
I watched Glee and it's fascinating.
Okay so I'm comin outta the closter
I'm a Gleek too!

ankit huss said...

oh...missing home now...life is colorless minus television.....

Boy Shakira said...

I'm full of Glee after I read this
I missed the first two episodes
but now I'm a believer
It's as good as desperate housewives, only milder, cuter, and more musical
a music lover's delight

Anonymous said...

TAKU says...

I'm not an avid follower of the series but the few episodes that I watched really taught me something or should I say they encouraged me to continue believing. Life isn't about your circumstances but what you make out of them. the Glee Club is looked down on. But these guys brave it all. Disheartened at times, yes! but afterwards they ace it... so what do you say lets start our own Glee club...LOL!

Boy Shakira said...

Glee is full of it. Empowerment. Zing. Zest. Hormones. And for teenagers at heart if you're fourteen or Fifty-een!