Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tribute to my Guru

Sister Mary Peter Claver was a person with an unshaken belief in the goodness within young people.
When she opened Notre Dame Communication Centre, she threw open the doors of the television training studio to the privileged and poor alike. She allowed us to experiment, to make mistakes, and if by chance anything broke in the studio, no matter how expensive it was, there would be no fines or punishment if the culprit owned up immediately and honestly.
I learnt a lot about people management by observing Sister Peter Claver. I learnt how to be non-judgemental, to listen carefully, and to always look for the positive and to see the good in a person. There was a time when I consumed an overdose of sleeping pills thinking of ‘ending it all’ - the reason being various things that occur in what is now known as a ‘dysfunctional family”. Sister PC counselled me through this very traumatic period of my life and helped me recognise my inner strength.
The various young people, many who came from difficult circumstances, whose lives PC touched and who were guided towards unconventional careers and unchartered fields are now doing their bit in spreading the Good News in India and abroad.
PC will always live on in our hearts and minds.

No comments: