Friday, November 21, 2008

Another Day Older

Another Birthday.


What is it about?

Phone calls rudely awakening you at midnight
Because some well-meaning but misguided 'friend' wants to be the  first to wish the 'birthday boy'
Learnt how to get around that... I just turn off all the phones after 9 pm.
Most of my friends know by now that I don't like to answer phones between 9 and 11 pm.
That's my personal 'quality time' with the boob tube.

SMS messages cluttering up your mobile phone
and edging out the really important stuff...
like the confirmation of the shipment of the special gift you bought yourself

Dozens of notes on those 'social networking sites'
many from people you have never met, 
have never spoken to,
and haven't the foggiest idea of what they're all about!

I believe that a birthday is an intensely personal thing
and I am usually deeply embarrassed at public displays of affection especially from people whom I don't know that well.

But then, not much is left in the private sphere nowadays.
Sign up for a web-page or some such thing in cyberspace
and hey presto, everybody and his twisted sister  knows the date on which you came out, screaming and protesting
and landed into this madhouse called planet earth.

The great things about a birthday
Being remembered by friends old and new
Reconnecting with others whom you have somehow lost touch with
Receiving surprises in the mail and at your doorstep
like that wonderful flower arrangement from ferns and petals sent by a past student

Its nice to have a day of your own where you can take stock of what you've achieved 
in the past year of your existence...
Personally, I did not do badly the past year... but I surely could have done better

Thanks to all of you folks who were so kind to 
drop me a line, a note, an e-mail or an sms

1 comment:

allenbhai said...

birtday means u is getting older and one step closer to heaven....[nock nockin on heaven's door]

from allah-en