Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Discourse

I am amused when some of my friends and a few blog readers wrote in to ask about my poetry : are my poems addressed to men?

Someone who often scans these pages even wrote a comment: 'It gets queerer and queerer.'

What if?

Were Shakespeare's poems addressed to men? Many say they are. Perhaps that is why the guy who made 'Shakespeare in love' [the film] was so desperate to portray the Bard of England firmly on the 'hetero' side of the discourse divide.


Does it matter whether the subject of my poetry is a biological male or female? Why must people fall into the cliche and assume that poetry must necessarily reflect 'emotional states'? I believe my poetry reflects my 'political' stance more than anything else.

And as for the discourse

Let's say that this blog is taking a litte saunter on the Wilde side of the literary sidewalk.

No comments: