Thursday, June 08, 2006

Moody Blues

The whole trouble with a folk song is that once you’ve played it through there is nothing much you can do except play it over again and play it rather louder. [Constant Lambert 1905-51]

I’ve been putting aside some time each day to catalogue my current music collection. ‘Current’ because my peripatetic lifestyle has resulted in my entrusting dozens of albums to friends’ safekeeping in various towns over the decades. Disturbances in the north-east in the mid-eighties meant that I left a collection of some 50 albums with a good friend in Shillong – quite a few are tucked away in a corner of a little house in Sikkim -- music that may be difficult to lay hands on easily: The Who, Conway Twitty, Jim Croce, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Alabama, Gentleman Jim Reeves, The incomparable Dusty Springfield, The scorpions, AC/DC, several Joan Baez and Bob Dylan albums, The wonderful Ray Charles and the elusive Cat Stevens, among others.

My decade in Patna – certainly not the place to find intelligent music in the dark decades of Lalooism – was made bearable by recourse to the music I carried along with me … and the music I picked up whenever I visited Calcutta, Bombay or Delhi.

Last year, I picked up Harry Belafonte’s Carnegie hall concert for the THIRD time: my first set was purloined in 1986, the second was borrowed by the librarian of the erstwhile British library in Patna in 1994, which he forgot to return when he left Patna some years ago.

Just listening to Harry Belafonte belting out ‘Man Smart, woman smarter’, Mama , look a Booboo, and Ma-til-da is more than enough to drive the monsoon blues away…..

3 comments:

Ajit Chouhan said...

My decade in Patna –certainly not the place to find intelligent music in the dark decades of Lalooism :

dont agree with this as I have the life long MP-3 collection of all these artists collected from Patna.It's the cheapest palce where I found all kind of music not to be found in any of the big cities.

The Who,Deep Purple,Don williams,Crosby, Kington trio,everly brothers,perry commo,belafonte even cat stevens entire collection i got from baker gunj...and guess what at 18 bucks..

scorpio said...

Well, ajit... that's a revelation to me.

I'm one of those people who visit music shops for original music and don't usually buy MP3 stuff [the pirated ones quality sucks sometimes]... but a collectors' instinct is a collectors' instinct so why don't you divulge the name of the shop, yaar.

Ajit Chouhan said...

Boss once I'm in Patna I'll share all my stuff ..infact I spent hours scanning all the bylanes of Baker Gunj and found some real cool trance and Lounge collection.

I have actually searched the entire market in Delhi,Kolkatta and Bangalore but even in those cities you find very few classic stuff..

Till 2002 i was into buying Cassettes and CD's but it was such a pain to collect each album painstakingly especially with the high cost it kinda became unaffordable.

I also use some online tool to collect Mp3 music.I hope u got the Bhojpuri Chutney Hip Hop No. is sent to you...