Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Four letter word...

If somebody says ‘I love you’ to me, I feel as though I had a pistol pointed at my head. What can anybody reply under such conditions but that which the pistol-holder requires? ‘I love you, too.’ – Kurt Vonnegut

Love is an extremely difficult realisation that something other than oneself is real. Love … is the discovery of reality.

The other night someone whom I care about quite a lot and I
Touched upon the subject of love, attraction, and sex
We talked late into the night and didn’t stop till the grey light of dawn turned azure.

Is attraction the first step of love, or is it the first step to sex?
Can I be in love with someone and yet not feel the need for the intimacy of sex?
Is it possible to be in sex with someone, but not in love?

Like Auden, we sigh:
Is it prickly to touch as a hedge is,
Or soft as eiderdown fluff?
Is it sharp or quite smooth at the edges?
O tell me the truth about love…


The other night I shadow-boxed in the dark
Not wanting to get hurt all over again,
perhaps not wanting to let my defences down and admit to myself …

that the feeling is mutual
that the first time in September when he opened the door and pushed his way unannounced into my life I saw him I liked what I saw
and within the week I knew … yes, I knew

that love is a terrible thing. You poison it and stab at it and knock it down into the mud ---- way down – and it gets up and staggers on, bleeding, and muddy, and awful --- like the ghost of Rasputin… it haunts you …

But, perhaps, I’m too battle-weary, tired and exhausted
How in hell can you handle love without turning your life upside down? That’s what love does, it changes everything..

Love is like the measles – all the worse when it comes late in life …

But here I am, I’m growing accustomed to his face … he makes the day for me begin …

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... more than well said, fred.

so many people could probably identify with what you are saying

scorpio said...

interesting ... point. Nihal baby..

What is love? Why do you say that a man can lust after a man [only sex, not love]
Isn't there a very deep attachment between two human beings that transcends the need to get into each others' pants?
Why do you want to marry your dog?
I'm really confused about your relationship with your dog... get over it man, no future
WHICH was the point of what i have said... love isn't a smooth thing ...and please, please don't propose to your doggy

BTW, how do YOU know that the other guy didn't hold a pistol to my head ... when he said that it was very strange for him to like a certain man too much?????

Anonymous said...

Nihal: something is very fishy in both your comments ... and scorpio the blogger's reply is also very curious
nihal says that one can love somebody and not want sex and in the words of cyndy lauper parody 'boys just wanna have sex'
well, i think a person can be in sex with someone, actually two people can be in sex... that means they can't keep their hands off each other, but aren't in love.
also, the other kind of love... deeper than friendship, but without the sex is also a reality.

Don't tell us nihal, that you haven't got a crush on anyone like that.tumhara early blogs parha hoo main, aur is blog mein bhi, during christmas 2005 kuch kuch likha hai ......
at some time all boys get a crush on an older guy... but not all boys climb into bed...

okay, enough said, fred

scorpio said...

WHOA!!
Kindly take the entry as philosphical, okay?
Sheesh... cripus, you may be reading a bit too much into things here
I'm flattered that this piece is stirring up a lot of responses
kris

Anonymous said...

Kris, an evocative write-up and amusing really.
Reminds me of Rex Harrison in My fair lady... the 'i've grown accustomed to her face' thing.

comment to nihal: he's not said that love's a wonderful feeling, he's said that love's an awful disease that he doesn't want to have.

best of luck to you and your doggie. please invite me to the wedding.

Anonymous said...

doggone it, but nihal shouldn't give up... after all how do you know it works unless you 'try it on the dog?'

anyway the planet is going to the dogs, it's a dog day afternoon, and Shyla, you ain't nuthin' but a hound dog
so let's not try to teach an ols dog new tricks...