Wednesday, April 26, 2006

In Memoriam

Yesterday, through the incredible internet
A long lost Aunt and Uncle contacted me from the land of Oz
It’s amazing what those ‘family tree’ web pages can do.

I had been out of touch for more than half a century …

And then, just today
Through the self-same internet
I learnt that my Aunt Myrtle had passed away on the 8th of April
At the Prince Charles hospital in Brisbane
The funeral was on the 11th at the Nudgee Cemetry

And this post is in memoriam of one of my favourite Aunts
Aunt Dorothy … who graduated from this life summa cum laude
Last year – and I didn’t even know.

Such is the pace of modern existence
Of deadlines
Travelling schedules
Misplaced visiting cards
Too many changes of addresses
Strange isn’t it
With all the wonderful progress made in communication
So fast, so easy, so instantly accessible

Words don’t come easy
Words are left unsaid

We keep putting off writing that letter
Buying that stamp
Sending that letter by snail mail
To the ones who helped us grow up
And who haven’t got comfortable with pounding the keyboard
On a new-fangled computer



Now all that can be said
Is requiscat in pace

Rest in Peace ……

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heavy stuff, o man !!!

shaansexi

allenbhai said...

Words don’t come easy
Words are left unsaid

U r right brudur. words dont come easy in such a situation. I knew aunt Myrtle much before you did. She was a kin, simple and loving person.I think she was married toUncle Derek. I remembur him see me for the fusttime sand saying...' he has a mean and naughyt look.....I carried those words me tender heart for many years. But Aunt Mytyrle was always kind espoecaill to me a a poor fatherless boy those days.
God Bless. I didn';t aunt edna had pased away. That's news me.
If there'sa place called heaven, I hope and pray they are there.
Mebbe they can shower some blessings on our tired , sad and lonely souls.
ame.
allenbhai patnawalla