Thursday, February 10, 2011

email me the ring

Yesterday, I received an 'invitattion' to a wedding - after all this is the 'laggan' season in North India - by email. The cheap chappie who's getting hitched demonstrated his 'noveau savviness' by ' inviting' everyone on his contacts list with:

 Dear all,
It gives me immense pleasure to inform you that I am getting married with [bride's name]. We request you to come on our wedding and bless us both with your presence on this auspicious day of our life.
The wedding is to be held in Lucknow on the 11th of March.
With best regards
[name and mobile number]
 
As one who belongs to that school of thought in which  a wedding is supposed to be a monumentous, private occassion for valued friends and family, an invitation sent in this way is the height of boorish behaviour. It actually says [1] My wedding is no big deal [2] I don't really care who comes [3] Actually, I don't really want you guys to turn up.
 
Any more thoughts on this one?

3 comments:

allenbhai said...

dear frncois
dont git so niddle up wid the wedding invite.
look at it the udder way....the poor chappie meme maha xcited he's getting hitched and wants the world to know.."hey dude i'm getting marrid to purtiest gal in town...i roll out the carpet...so come and join me at the feast!

Nandini Sharma said...

Sir,I beg to differ.I guess the chap is ecstatic that he is tying the nuptial knot and wants his friends to be there on his red-letter day.On the contrary Sir you are being too harsh by jumping to such an outlandish conclusion.If i were in your shoes i would be there with bells on :):)

Boy Shakira said...

Hey Baby
'Dear All' isn't an invitation - it's a noticeboard.
The cheapo should have just said - Hey,I'm gettin hitched to this beauty, and eat your hearts out, man.
Weddin invites have day, date, place, time for when the pheras are being pheraoed, and so on.
Where would you go with yore bells on, lady?