Wednesday, December 28, 2005

all india radio and western music





An old-fashioned RADIO



Let me dedicate this post to the announcers of State-owned radio stations the world over, especially those that play English music... or should I say English language music.

Ever since I can remember I have been listening to the radio: it was The Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation that helped me through the wonder years,

it was those songs of love that it would bring to me and I memorised each word...

and then during the summer holidays it was Calcutta All India Radio and the mandatory Musical bandbox that accompanied every lunch hour...

and then, somehow, televison crept in...

and schedules changed...

and then years of work in the Hindi heartland of Bihar had no access to western music over radio, except, of course the Beeb on short-wave now and again.

Over the years the airwaves have grown weaker... SLBC no longer broadcasts eight hours a day to India over the commercial services....

2005 has been a year of discovery for me... I had an extended stay in Delhi and discovered that Western music over All India Radio still existed in the form of broadcasts over AIR FM Rainbow.

At first, I listened in utter shock, as I tuned in to the late evening programmes and discovered that announcers -- I refuse to call them RJs-- RADIO JOCKEYS!!!???--- slurred their words, didn't seem to have proper scripts, and generally acted as though they were convinced that nobdy was listening to them.

However, I've changed my opinion somewhat... AIR FM Rainbow has improved drastically in the past four months, though it still does not reflect the cosmopolitan nature of a country capital. The Holiday Season is a case in point. Sadly, the announcers, or RJs who are directly responsible for programmes can't tell the difference between a carol and a song.

Compare Delhi to Calcutta AIR Western Music Section(WMS) and you'll realise what I'm talking about.

In Calcutta, the WMS reflects the SEASON of winter starting December with the first few decembery songs. By the second week, we all know that Santa Claus is coming to Town, the third week, is all Christmas and new-year cheer with jingle bell rocking around the clock.

In Delhi, what do we have... the brat pack still playing hip-hop nonsense and heavy metal on Christmas eve... with the announcer on Christmas morning's 8 am programme, talking about Christmas eve... for Chrissakes!!!

Having said that, there are a few RJs who go that extra mile to make their programmes matter, one such person is Vandana vadhera, aka Wendy the witch, who is fun to listen to... and i found mself writing in to her programme.
 Another lady is Kiran, whose Matchless Music Hour plays wonderful oldies, however, I wish she wouldn't overdo the 'information' and 'inspiration' part.

 A guy with a nice sense of music and radio presence is called Supradeep who makes the music programmes appealing to all ages. There is a lady called Rosamma who should be told that we do listen to her shows, and so she shouldn't seem so folorn.


In the coming new year... more power to radio... now that satellite radio is in... I'm gonna rock to that retro piece that goes.... RADIO someone still loves you!!!!!!!!!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey frank...thanx 4 leaving agood word 4 me..where did u disappear>???.lov vandy...wendy the friendly witch!

Deep Anchor said...

Hi to Frank and Wandy di,

I got to read this piece very late but late though I got it while searching for Wandi di. I like your voice very very much. I just can't tell what a gr8 fan I am of yours. You have a magical voice, the other day u sang a bit of Shakira's H. D. L. It heard marvellous and I believe you are as good as Shakira and probably u can get better than her.

I have opened a group on gmail..

http://groups.google.co.in/group/wandithewitch?hl=en

Plz do visit here.

Best of luck to you.